The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act protects the educational rights of students who are homeless. Those include the right to:
- Continue attending the school of origin (the school in which the child was last enrolled or the school the child attended when permanently housed) or to enroll in the zoned school in the area where the child temporarily resides;
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin;
- Enroll immediately despite lack of proper documentation (immunizations, transcripts, proof of address, etc.);
- Receive free school meals;
- Receive services comparable to those offered to other students in the school.