An Internship That Makes an Impact
The Legal Aid Society offers rewarding internships for students that provide an opportunity to develop skills and real-world experience serving indigent New Yorkers.
Internships for All Interests and Experience Levels
The Legal Aid Society offer unpaid internships for college and graduate students, as well as for high school students. Our internships provide a unique opportunity to develop skills and real world experience with a public interest law firm.
- Juvenile Rights Practice Special Litigation and Law Reform Unit Legal Intern – Spring 2021
- Juvenile Rights Practice Legal Intern – Spring 2021
- Civil Practice Legal Intern – Spring 2021
- Criminal Defense Practice Legal Intern – Spring 2021
- JRP Special Litigation and Law Reform Unit Legal Intern 2L/3L – Summer 2021
- Criminal Defense Practice Legal Intern, 2L – Summer 2021
- Civil Practice Legal Intern, 2L – Summer 2021
- Juvenile Rights Practice Legal Intern, 2L – Summer 2021
College & Graduate Students
The Legal Aid Society offers students the opportunity to work directly with attorneys, paralegals, investigators and staff on client cases. Internships are unpaid and can be part time or full time. Academic credit can be considered if your school offers that opportunity.
We seek motivated, detail-oriented team players who take initiative and know when to seek guidance on projects. We welcome candidates who are flexible and have a positive attitude.
The Legal Aid Society offers exceptional legal internships in the Civil, Criminal and Juvenile Rights Practices. We also attend Career Fairs and conduct On-Campus Interviews at local and nation law schools.
Offers for Fall Semester, Spring Semester, and Summer law student internships will be made on a rolling basis during each hiring period. Deadlines for internships can be found here. We accept applications for both 1L and 2L law students. Students in their 1L year should check the website in early December of each year for internship opportunities.
Intern Investigator Program
We also offer an Intern Investigator Program that provides undergraduate and graduate students interested in a career in law with an exciting, hands-on, in-the-field experience in criminal defense law. Learn More
Harvard University Winternship
In Winter of 2018, The Legal Aid Society partnered with Harvard University to offer “Winterships” for Harvard students. The Winternship allowed students to shadow staff for 1-3 days during their January winter break, giving them the opportunity to observe court proceedings and ask questions. It provides participants with a hands-on experience, educating students about the work that The Legal Aid Society does in serving New Yorkers. Please view our job descriptions and application deadlines on the Harvard website.
High School Students
Through our partnership with the Summer Youth Employment Program (S.Y.E.P) we accept a limited number of high school students for internship opportunities during the summer. Please contact your local Summer Youth Employment office to apply. Applicants will be notified by May 31st for the summer session. Inquiries can be sent to our email inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While interning with The Legal Aid Society, students will have the opportunity to do some or all of the following:
- Observe court proceedings
- Follow up with clients and volunteer attorneys regarding recently closed matters
- Enter data, assist with filing and follow up with new clients
- Shadow staff on a typical workday
- Attend workplace meetings
- Conduct informational interviews with staff
- Undertake a voluntary small project or relevant research assignment
- Serve alongside staff in volunteer work
- Learn about the organization’s mission
- Complete other projects as requested