Fill 271 Created with Sketch.

Wrongful Convictions, Appeals, Clemency & Sealing

The Legal Aid Society can assist with wrongful convictions, applications for commutation and pardon, and the sealing of past criminal records.

The Wrongful Conviction Unit was created to address the population of prisoners who have exhausted all possible avenues of defense and are still fighting for their freedom and to clear their names of crimes they did not commit.

The Criminal Appeals Bureau prepares commutation applications for eligible clients — individuals with excellent institutional records who have served more than half of their minimum term and are more than a year away from parole eligibility. CAB also prepares pardon applications for clients who have rehabilitated themselves but are facing deportation.

The Case Closed Project can help seal your criminal record. Under the current law, if you have two or fewer total convictions in New York (including up to one felony), you may be eligible to have your records sealed.

The Exploitation Intervention Project works with trafficking survivors to help them vacate prostitution-related convictions and seal the records of those arrests. If you were convicted of a prostitution-related offense when you were under the age of 18 or if your conviction was the result of force, fraud, or coercion, you may be eligible to have your record sealed.

How To Get Help

Wrongful Convictions
If you are innocent and have exhausted all appeals, you may write to The Wrongful Conviction Unit and request our questionnaire to be considered for representation:

The Wrongful Conviction Unit
c/o The Legal Aid Society
199 Water Street
New York, NY 10038

Individuals who believe they qualify for clemency should apply online with the Governor’s Office. The site contains instructions and forms for applying for commutations and pardons.

Record Sealing
To find out if you are eligible to have a criminal record sealed fill out our online questionnaire, call 212-298-3120 or email

To find out if you are eligible to have your prostitution-related convictions vacated and the records sealed, contact: KB White 646-385-5027,, or Leigh Latimer 646-385-5025,