Job Applications & Procedures
Our objective is to recruit and retain the best law students, attorneys, paralegals, social workers, investigators and administrative staff who share one vision – that no New Yorker will be denied access to justice because of poverty.
All Current Job Openings
- General Volunteer – Pro Bono
- Civil Practice Forensic Social Worker – ILU
- Civil Practice Attorney Trainer – Housing
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney, Housing Tenant Defense (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Low Income Tax Clinic Staff Attorney
- Civil Practice Attorney-in-Charge, Housing Justice (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney, Housing-Related Government Benefits (HCLO)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney, Housing Justice Program – Tenant Defense (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler – Law Reform
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney – Law Reform
- Civil Practice Grant Writer
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney Floating, Housing Justice – Tenant Defense Program
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Immigration Detained Removal Defense
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney – Immigrant Opportunities Initiative
Criminal Defense Practice
- Criminal Defense Practice Supervising Attorney – PRDU
- General Volunteer – Pro Bono
- Criminal Appeals Bureau Investigator – Wrongful Conviction Unit
- Criminal Practice Supervising Attorney – CAB
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal II (Staten Island)
- Criminal Defense Practice Social Work Supervisor
- Experienced Felony Criminal Defense Attorney (Citywide)
Juvenile Rights Practice
- Director of Grants and Contracts – Finance
- Chief Communications and Content Officer
- Technical Product Manager – IT
- Human Resources Business Partner
- Application Development Manager – IT
You can view postings on our ADP Recruitment Portal, and apply to any position that suits your interest. Required documents must be uploaded as a single PDF. If documents are not in a single PDF your application will not be processed.
Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
You must submit your application through the ADP Recruitment Portal in order to be considered. Resumes and other documents submitted to our firstname.lastname@example.org email inbox will not be processed.
Once you have completed your application you will receive a confirmation email.
The status of your application can be viewed by logging into your account.
If your skills match the position for which you applied, a recruiter or a representative from the organization may contact you either by phone or email. You should keep an eye out for any communications sent to you regarding employment with our organization.
We welcome any questions that you may have. Inquiries can be sent to our email inbox at email@example.com.
We ask that during the application screening you remain patient.
If selected for an interview we may choose to speak with you in person, over the phone, or by video. Interviews in person may be held at the job location, and may be held by the hiring manager or committee members.
We will provide you with information on The Legal Aid Society, as well as provide you with some insight into the position that you will be interviewing for. As we take the time to get to know you, we are hoping that you have some questions for us as well so that we can be sure that our organization is a good fit for you.
After the interview process has been completed, the hiring manager and/or committee will assess all of the candidates, and will make a decision as to whom an offer should be made.
We ask that you remain patient during the decision-making process.
Offers & Onboarding
Once a hiring decision has been made, an offer will be extended to the selected candidate via email. The candidate must review and decide whether to accept the offer that is made. Once the offer has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to complete onboarding paperwork.
We Encourage You To:
- Sign up to receive notifications for our latest job openings on our ADP Recruitment Portal, by clicking on the Notify Me button.
- Check out the “Resources for Jobseekers” search tool for questions that you may have prior to applying to postings.
- Stay on top of current events that relate to Public Interest Law, as well as keeping informed of events and initiatives that The Legal Aid Society is involved in by viewing “Latest News & Upcoming Events” on our Homepage.
The application process can be competitive; however, we hope that this does not discourage you from applying for other opportunities. We look to pair the right person to the right job, making the selected individual a part of this dynamic organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
As an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer, The Legal Aid Society prohibits discriminatory employment actions against and treatment of its employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race or color, size (including bone structure, body size, height, shape, and weight), religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity (one’s internal deeply-held sense of one’s gender which may be the same or different from one’s sex assigned at birth; one’s gender identity may be male, female, neither or both, e.g., non-binary), gender expression (the representation of gender as expressed through, for example, one’s name, choice of pronouns, clothing, haircut, behavior, voice, or body characteristics; gender expression may not be distinctively male or female and may not conform to traditional gender-based stereotypes assigned to specific gender identities), disability, marital status, relationship and family structure (including domestic partnerships, polyamorous families and individuals, chosen family, platonic co-parents, and multigenerational families), genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record, credit history, unemployment status, caregiver status, salary history, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: JobPostQuestions@legal-aid.org, Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Resources for Job Seekers
Need guidance before you apply? Our recruitment team has selected popular resources that will help guide your application process.