Pro Bono & Volunteer Opportunities
Attorneys, law students, and other volunteers work in partnership with Legal Aid Society staff in order to expand our ability to provide legal services to a greater number of clients and communities.
All pro bono referrals have been screened by our attorneys and legal professionals who are experts in the field. Those same experts remain on the case to provide mentorship and guidance throughout the representation.
We Draw Strength from You
Last year, over 4,000 volunteers donated 240,000 hours of legal assistance to the clients of The Legal Aid Society.
But no metrics can adequately quantify what pro bono assistance means to a family facing homelessness, a client whose rights are violated by unlawful police conduct, or a child in foster care whose educational needs are not being met.
For over 140 years The Legal Aid Society has worked together with the private bar to provide life changing legal assistance and deliver “Justice In Every Borough”.
The staff of The Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Practice is:
Impact of Our Pro Bono Work
Hours of Pro Bono work by 4,079 volunteers
Attorneys from 69 Law Firms
Student Interns from 112 participating law schools and universities
2019 Pro Bono Honor Roll
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- DLA Piper LLP (US)
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- Milbank LLP
- Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP
- Morvillo Abramowitz Grand Iason & Anello P.C.
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Penn Probono Alumni Consulting, Inc.
- Petrillo Klein & Boxer LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP
- Winston & Strawn LLP
Pro Bono Publico Award Winners
The Legal Aid Society held the 2019 Pro Bono Publico Awards Ceremony at the Prince George Ballroom on Monday, October 28th, honoring over 260 individual attorneys and 41 law firms for their outstanding and sustained achievements in pro bono services. Judge Edwina G. Mendelson, Deputy Chief Administrative Judge for Justice Initiatives, presented the awards to the honorees.
The Public Interest Law Leadership Award was presented to Jennifer L. Kroman, of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. Beginning in 2012, Jennifer’s collaboration with the Exploitation Intervention Project established a ground breaking pro bono project representing survivors of human trafficking seeking vacatur of prior convictions.
The 2019 Honorable Jonathan Lippman Pro Bono Law Firm Award was presented to Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, in recognition of its exceptional pro bono commitment to our organization and clients. Last year nearly 100 Debevoise staff contributed over 4,600 hours of critical legal assistance to clients in areas as diverse as immigration defense, disability advocacy, civil rights litigation, criminal appeals, and the preservation of affordable housing.
CLE Training and Credit for Pro Bono Volunteers
This training program runs from October to January, so please check back for how to participate.
The Legal Aid Society is an accredited CLE provider and we award CLE credit to attorneys who perform eligible pro bono legal services for clients unable to afford counsel.